Saturday, January 24, 2009

old problems, new programs, new solutions

As talked about in the previous entry, I had the problem with glow trails. The tutorial (and its follow up tutorial) proved very, very useful. However, to take advantage of a more streamlined process between Premiere (Pr), Photoshop (Ps), and now After Effects (AE), I had to migrate all my work into the CS4 set of programs. I was a bit aprehensive at first, and it feels like Premiere CS4 doesn't run quite as smoothly as Pro 2 did, but the features added make up for it. It has what's called Adobe Dynamic Link, which will link files between AE and Pr. Basically, all elements from the Pr sequence are accessable in AE, and the composition in AE is accessable as an object in Pr. So I can drag and drop the composition where I need it in Pr, and if I make any changes to it in AE, it will update in real time over in Pr! I think this feature (or something similar) was in the CS3 suite, but I never used anything from CS3 other than Photoshop, so it was all new to me. Adobe.com lists this as an enhanced or updated feature, rather than brand new. So it's probably just a lot better than it was.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I have never used After Effects before. I've been using Premiere and Maya for quite a while, but never AE. The tutorials I found online proved exceptionally helpful in giving me exactly what I needed, and I hope to be able to use AE a lot more in future projects.








Above are pictures of the new Premiere CS4 interface (top), as well as After Effects CS4 (bottom) showing my test work with making the glowing light trails. Below is a short rendered clip of the test file.

No comments: